Frequently asked questions about engineering services.

What does the engineer do?

During the development process, it can be said with absolute certainty that $1 spent during design in ensuring that your building is properly engineered can save you tenfold in terms of expensive compliance down the track.

You may find that in fact, it will be a Council requirement to engage a structural engineer before approval can be obtained. Your local Consulting Engineer is skilled in assessing your building site, whether it be a vacant block of land, or extensions over or next to an existing structure. He or she will then be able to provide advice to the builder or owner/builder on the most appropriate structural system and components for your project.

How do I Engage a Consulting Engineer?

You should consider your local engineer to be like any other professional person; i.e. your doctor, dentist, solicitor or (after your building process) your therapist.

To discuss your project, phone for an appointment and ensure that you bring your
plans and any development consent or Council correspondence you may have to the appointment.

Alternatively, a short letter can be sent by mail or email with a copy of your plans etc, to request a fee proposal. Once a fee proposal has been provided, you are in a position to provide a notice to proceed with the work.

What Information do I give the Engineer?

- Your contact details to include name, address, Phone number(s) and email addresses if applicable.

- Your Architectural plans and Specifications

- Approvals: A copy of your development consent and construction certificate. Alternatively advise the engineer of the anticipated approval date(s) and forward copies when available. In most circumstances the engineer will not be in a position to provide inspection services during construction unless approvals are in place. If a development consent or construction certificate is not in place, your engineer may require advice in writing as to the circumstances.